Leaping from the Line

InterPlay is an active, creative way to unlock the wisdom of the body, and I am fortunate to the have the opportunity of offering InterPlay to my community in many venues - science and business communication, English language fluency, empowering women who have resettled here in the United States, and creativity! Recently, I had the pleasure of bringing the gift of InterPlay to my community YMCA.

On a Friday night in the middle of September, as a way of giving to my YMCA community in Atlanta, Georgia, I led participants in making marks, telling stories, and “leaping” from these “storied lines” in movement - knowing that through play we can “dance” with our creative spirits. 

By making taking incremental steps - one mark, one move, one story, one partner at a time - we find the way back to the juiciness of our imaginations and into the flow of infinity. And we do it in the company on the “playground” with others! Wheee! 

I'm so thankful to Tara Hardy at the East Lake YMCA for establishing ArtsFest during the month of September and making it a month filled with art activities at the YMCA. It doesn’t take much to step into the flow, to be engaged with creativity. 

2018 is the third annual ArtsFest! Congratulations Tara. Last year, I had two of my images in the ArtsFest Celebration and was asked to be a featured artist this year. Yes! So along with friend and fellow artist Matt Blodgett, my visual art will be displayed at the ArtsFest Celebration on Saturday, September 29th.


For this one night exhibit, I have chosen to show a series of images of women clothed in hijabs and burkas that I have created over the past decade as my life entwined with both girls and women who wear them.
Like many things, it takes a village to bring about an exhibit. I acknowledge Matt Blodgett for spending numerous hours with me choosing 20 images from a body of 50 or more, grouping these images to tell "stories," deciding on matt board and frames, and helping to put all of those together. 
Great appreciation also goes to Canan Arikan for spending an entire Saturday with me cleaning the glass on the framed pieces, putting on the hardware, and measuring the frames. 

And as always, I am thankful to my husband, my collaborator, my playmate, and best supporter, Tony Martin -- always ready to leap from the line in all of its myriad ways of appearing in our lives.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SISlet: A Small Gathering of International Women Moving at the Speed of the Body for New SISters

Recovery from Being Such a Serious Scientist